Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Age Does Not Equal Ability



Throughout my life, I have always had people doubt and judge me on my ability...

I started coaching skating at the age of 16, as soon as I could start. Before that I had skated since I was 5, moved up in the levels quick and was a program assistant for years! My coach was an amazing coach and a great mentor. When I started coaching, no one believed that I had the ability or the knowledge to be doing so since I was so young...

I am now 20, have a two year old child, I went to college for 2 years made the deans list, and got my Fitness Instructor and Personal Training certification. Over the years since I was 16, I have taken many skating courses as a coach and often times am I higher level than coaches that are a lot older than I am...but people still look at me as if my age has something to do with my ability...

What they don't see, is that I work hard. Constantly, at home, at the rink and in the gym. I work hard to be who I am, to know what I know, and to have ended up where I am today..

They don't see the endless hours at home that I research, prep, plan and organize so that I teach and coach to the best of my ability.... all they seem to see is a young mom who got lucky.

You don't get lucky. Luck isn't a thing, you have to work hard to get where you want to be, to follow your dreams, to become that person that you strive to be...

So, next time you look at someone and see a young adult, see the potential and the whole picture...not just there age...cause age is just a number...not an ability indicator.


No comments:

Post a Comment